Morriscountyvarsityboysbasketball Top 10
1) Mount Olive (6-1) The Marauders have won six games in a row. The week included romps over Morris Knolls and West Morris. Congratulation to senior guard Rashaan Spencer for reaching the 1,000-point milestone. The Marauders have Morris Hills and High Point coming up with Pope John looming on January 23.
2) Morristown (6-1) The Colonials were knocked from the unbeaten ranks by Hunterdon Central but are still unbeaten in Morris County. Senior guard Sean Hoehn is one of the leading scorers in the area. They also had a win against West Morris which only had a single loss at the time. Randolph and Delbarton are up next.
3) Mendham (7-2) The Minutemen have won their last four games. Their victories included wins over Randolph, West Morris and North Hunterdon. Mendham has been getting strong performances from Alex Jacobs and Jack Horan lately. Roxbury and Chatham are next on the schedule with Morristown also coming up on January 22
4) Jefferson (5-0) The Falcons are the only unbeaten team remaining with wins over Hackettstown and Kittatinny last week. Continuing on the winning path will be difficult with games against Sparta and Newton next. Tyler Jones and Bryan Langan provide much of the offense for the Falcons.
5) Chatham (6-2) The Cougars triumphed over Delbarton, Randolph (on the road) and West Essex to keep pace in the rankings. Junior guard Graham Delaney has emerged as a go-to guy on offense. Upcoming games include Hackettstown and West Morris (on January 15).
6) Hanover Park (5-2) The Hornets had dominating wins against Dover and North Warren this week. Also among their quality victories is an opening day win against Mendham. Hanover Park has been helped greatly by the scoring of transfer student Donny Dattolo. Games against Morristown-Beard and Madison are next on the docket.
7) Mountain Lakes (6-1) The Lakers move up in the poll despite an upset loss to Pequannock. Senior guard Matt Reese and solid defensive performances keep Mountain Lakes in every game. They will be challenged on the road against West Morris on Monday. Morris Catholic is also an upcoming battle.
8) West Morris (4-4) The Wolfpack lost their last three games but stay in the rankings considering the quality of their opponents (Morristown, Mendham and Mount Olive). The loss to the Marauders was extremely difficult. West Morris will have a chance to bounce back quickly against Mountain Lakes on Monday. Chatham is also on the schedule this week.
9) Pequannock (4-2) Narrow victories against Mountain Lakes and Montville vaulted the Golden Panthers into the top 10. Bryan Peters and Kevin Glynn are among their top performers. Games against Boonton and Butler are next on the schedule.
10) Morris Catholic (5-2) The Crusaders make their first appearance in the top 10 in some time. Andrew Spruell and Ryan Feeney lead an uptempo team. Sophomore guard Wayne Patterson has been an offensive force. New Providence and Mountain Lakes are next on their schedule.
Morris Knolls (4-3) and Montville (4-3) dropped out of the rankings. Morristown-Beard (6-2) also came close and had wins over Whippany Park and Roxbury last week.